Wednesday 15 January 2014

The Great Awake

It seems like every time I think up a new way to make sure I get up in the morning at a reasonable time, my brain eventually adapts itself to enable me to bypass the new system and continue on sleeping without ever become conscious enough to comprehend out that it's a bad idea. It's like the movie The Great Escape, except instead of a POW camp, I'm trying to escape from sleep, and instead of Nazis, I'm trying to outsmart myself.


I woke up at 2:30 today. I bought a new alarm clock yesterday, but as it transpires, I bought a wimpy alarm clock. It makes a little * beep beep beep beep * sound. I don't need a little * beep beep beep beep * sound. I need more of a * WAAAHohhhhWAAAHohhhhWAAAHohhhh!!! *  sound, at least until my Circadian Rhythm adjusts. And it won't adjust because my alarm clock isn't waking me up, and there's no sunlight. At least not when I'm awake. This is the most sunlight we got today:


My mom once told me that one's Circadian Rhythm has to do with sunlight, and that would explain why it hasn't been setting properly. It works when I fly to Peru or California, because there's plenty of sunlight there, but it doesn't work very well when I fly to London during the Winter.

So I've got a new system in place. I found an app for a louder iPhone alarm. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works. I still have hope!


...And just as I was writing this, it occurred to me to follow my parents' advice and check the extra pockets of my suitcase. Look what I found!


Looks like I'll be eating lunch tomorrow!

In any case, I'm definitely blessed to have returned to Oxford sooner rather than later. Had I returned on Thursday, I possibly would have missed collections!

Glory to God,

    John Khouri, expectant lunch-eater

1 comment:

  1. es claro que tienes mucho trabajo que hacer, pero que raro pues tu duermes mucho, :/

    ReplyDelete