Monday 11 November 2013

Pounding Out a Routine

After four weeks of classes at Oxford, I've started getting into some good routines. The only time I actually like spending alone is Saturday morning. I wake up whenever I want (although not so late as to mess up my Circadian Rhythm), I put on some warm clothes, and I watch some Rhett and Link (a pair of Internetainers who always have something worth watching).


Then I go out to my favorite cafe and buy a mozzarella, tomato, and basil panini and a muffin, bring them back to my room, enjoy the warm panini, and rediscover the fact that I don't like their muffins. That last one's a tradition I should really stop now before it gets too ingrained into my mind.

I spent most of the afternoon working on Probability homework, which is due Monday. This Saturday, I went to the second "bop" of the Michaelmas term. For those of you not yet in the know, a "bop" is a British thing where everyone dresses according to theme in "fancy dress" (the British word for "costume") and goes to the college bar, where there is much drinking and loud music. 

The theme for the first was high school stereotypes, and I went as a loser, and it was magnificent. I didn't know about this one, though, and didn't really enjoy the bop that much last time, so I didn't really work hard at my costume. The theme of this bop was "favorite song." I went as "American Idiot" by Green Day. Not that it's my favorite song. Or a song that I like. Or even a song that I've heard. Or even a song I'd heard of. I went to the bop as "American Idiot"because it was SO easy. I didn't really need to dress up, but I wore a sideways baseball hat, carried an American flag, and wore my 3D shades to highlight it. I think it turned out pretty well, considering my ambivalence.


I was about to leave the bar after dancing like crazy for half an hour, before people started getting drunk and unpleasant, when I heard them playing "The Fox." For those of you who still don't know, "The Fox" is a viral song by a Norwegian comedy band with such perfect accents it's impossible to tell that they're Norwegian apart from the name of their band, Ylvis. It's the way-less-popular Gangnam Style of 2013, so I guess it's actually more like the Harlem Shake. I remember watching it towards the end of summer after so many of my friends had left and laughing harder than I had in months. It was just so ridiculous :D Here's a link: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

I've also been very excited about the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special, coming November 23rd. It's been this gigantic event Whovians have been anticipating for over a year now, and the trailer only FINALLY came out this weekend. It looks amazing. It does bring me some sadness, though, remembering how excited Walker was about it. It made me wonder what he'd think of it if he came back down to earth just to watch it, and it occurred to me that he'd probably be a lot less impressed now he's seen something much greater. That's kind of sad to think about, but on the other hand, it's a happy thought as well, because it gives one something better to look forward to than Doctor Who, whoever good it is (I think I meant "however," but I can't be sure).

Sundays I don't have any time for work at all. I wake up somewhat lazily, then go to church at St. Ebb's for 11:45. Then I have about two hours before I have to be dressed in formals for choir rehearsal at 3:45 for Evensong, which happens at 6:00 and goes to 7:00. At 7:00, I have to get my robe and suit jacket for formal dinner at 7:30, which lasts another hour. I don't mind all that much, though, because I'm able to get done all my work, and because it's the Sabbath. I don't know; back when I went to the King's Academy, I'd on occasion comment how odd it was that a private Christian high school would assign so much work that it would be nigh impossible to do it all without working just as hard on Sunday as on Saturday. As a result, I'm used to working on Sundays, but I'm still glad to have a more flexible schedule that allows me to honor God better than before. Of course, I know God forgives working on the Sabbath as easily as more serious things (like murder, for example), but it's nice to spend a day with less work, especially at such a busy place as Oxford where it's easy to get distracted.

The sermon at St Ebb's was on Genesis 1, about how some parts of the Bible are meant to be taken literally and others metaphorically, and on how we talk like that all the time in normal conversation as well. At least, it started like that, then it somehow evolved into a talk about how faith and science are by their definitions complementary as opposed to contradictory, and how even people who don't believe in religions put their faith in other things. Then it launched an argument that since God created everything, He intended for it to be used, appreciated, and enjoyed, though not worshipped as an idol, because He created it all and saw it was good, so we have no reason to feel bad about enjoying the things of this world, because that's it's purpose. Food was created to be eaten, or, as the English apparently sometimes say, "et." It was an excellent sermon that I'd hate to forget.

I also watched a video Saturday night of a skit the tenors in my old show choir Knightshine did at one of our Advances (we were Knightshine, we didn't retreat; we advanced!). I found myself cracking up so loudly that I was relieved that my neighbors were still at the bop. I found myself seriously missing my friends from high school. They always were there for me, whether I needed a laugh, or just a hug (oh, the hugs), or felt lonely, or nervous about a big exam. They were there when I needed to talk to someone or share a secret, and I reciprocated. They were and are the funniest people I know, and I would rather spend a day with them than spend a day with every comedian on the planet (sorry, Tim). I'm so far away from them now, though admittedly not as far as I would have been fifty years ago before the Internet or other speedy means of Transatlantic communication. I can't wait to see you guys again :)


...Ah, the spirit of Thanksgiving :D

I've still got four more weeks to go, though. I'm halfway there! Today, I spent about seven hours working on the Analysis problem sheet from start to finish. Ugh. It shouldn't have taken longer than five hours, but I got stuck on one of four parts of the first problem, and I foolishly spent an hour and a half on that same part. Yikes. Then I designed a volleyball map for Brawl (which did not work) and visited a friend and watched some Rowan Atkinson and Fry and Laurie videos together, because here in Britain, they're funny to other people as well.

I'm wrapping up, I'm wrapping up. I hate to assign homework, but I saw this article, and while I don't really know enough to make a firm case or even a statement, considering this is published on the website of an organization dedicated to helping the helpless, I think it's pretty important to read. Go ahead and give yourself 400 JP if you read the whole article top to bottom, but 100 JP if you at least read a bit of it. Thanks.

http://www.thamesreach.org.uk/news-and-views/campaigns/giving-to-beggars/faq/

With love,

   John Khouri, Panini Snob

1 comment:

  1. "it occurred to me that he'd probably be a lot less impressed now he's seen something much greater" - that was really touching. Glad to know you are having a good (albeit busy) time in England! - Annie <3

    ReplyDelete